Friday, January 04, 2008

What is dancing?

An impressive way to be expressive, I say.

Dancing has been my hobby since young. I could remember myself jumping over pillows that was placed on the floor, and I called it dancing. Laugh, laugh all you want. There's more. Sweeping my legs and my hands (or maybe I should say "flinging") as though I'm trying to prove the existence of multi-plane dimension, I called that dancing, too. Flapping my hands in the shape of a chicken and walking around to the tune, "Dancing on the Ceiling" by Lionel Richie, I dare say it is dancing.

And now, I'm still at it.

I loved dancing a lot now. Sometimes I know I'm not good, but I insists on dancing as though spikes growing within the soles of my shoes. Watching videos in Youtube.com inspires me much too. Seeing others is all I can do to learn: popping, liquid dancing, gliding, robotic dance, locking, etc. Dancing lets me feel the adrenaline rush in my blood and express myself without thinking twice.

One question: So you think you can dance?

Based on my experience (I already performed quite a number of times, including main ones such as Negeri Sembilan Charity Show and school's midautumn festival; others are minor =p), I believe that it is not the capability of dancing that matters actually. My point is, everyone can dance. I don't expect everyone to be able to breakdance or what, but simple dance such as hip hop, modern dancing, freestyle, crazy-mode-and-unable-to-control-self dance, move-your-hands-in-small-circles-in-front-of-you dance and others is great enough.

I repeat, EVERYONE CAN DANCE!

Passion or passionless, it is in our blood already. Our ancestors during caveman period already knew how to perform a dance around a bonfire without even been guided. Ask any president in the world to dance and they would (Have you seen Nelson Mandela dance? It's during a historic event [not the dance but the eventful day]). Great Kungfu masters in the world knows how to apply their routine moves into dances. I would not be surprised if James Blunt suddenly put down his guitar during a concert and starts dancing.

So, why some of us can't dance???

Well, that particular "some of us" can't dance not because "some of us" can't but because we are afraid to lose face. Humility is the greatest obstacle to dancing. Great dancers in the world can dance because they have the THICKEST skin in the world. They wouldn't care if they made any mistakes. All they want is to feel the adrenaline rush while dancing. If we can overcome that shame, we can dance like it's 1970s.

We can dance. We just need to put away the shyness in us.

In the nutshell, if you are tempted to blast your player up to max and tap-dance to the tune, I daresay, why not?

Note the flying shoes and slippers towards your window.

No comments: