Monday, January 29, 2007

Shall We Dance? Blek~!

Everytime I meet somebody new, or just anybody, there will be a 68% probability that he or she will throw me a question:

How did you dance?

I wished I could tell them the whole story, but it will be as long as a commentator will talk over a football match between Manchester United and Arsenal. Or at least I could print out four pages of my story to save my enzyme amylase from depleting. Now, I found a solution. Blogging.

Here goes.

At the age of 9, I attended a meeting in Damansara Jaya (If I'm correct, it is Mr. Chai's House). There was a solo "Michael Jackson" dance performed by a young guy. He just wore a simple shirt, jeans and sunglasses. He was dancing to the tune "Rock With You" by Michael Jackson. In the middle of his dance, suddenly he walked up to me and try to pull me out to join him. I was very, VERY afraid. So, I didn't budge at all. The man used all his effort to pull me out, but I guess my buttocks get heavier everytime he tried to pull me. Hey, come on, I was only an innocent naive kid who gets freaked out at this situation.

In the end, my buttocks won. The man reluctantly gave up. I think I spoilt his show.

Since that day onwards, I started doing silly things for no reason. I would take the cushions from the sofa and lay it on the floor. Then, I would jump over it again and again and AGAIN as though I have built a mine field. Sometimes I would try to imitate Michael Jackson's move by simply jumping and kicking my legs all over the place. I can still remember myself asking my brother innocently: "Is Michael Jackson a boy or girl?" I could not convince myself that Michael is a guy.

Slowly, I began to slow down my moves, but still kicking. My hands will be the "ke-le-feh" as my legs flung all over the place. In some occasions, I will be asked to dance in front of my friends and everybody else. The adults will say, "Wow, so cute~!" Sadly, no one says I'm talented. Sob. [Got a slap in my face from an unknown force]

At the end of the year of Primary Six, my school (Yuk Chai) organised an inter class dance competition. So, the whole class were excited and there was up and downs during practices. Louise made a tape with combination of many songs. She did it one whole night, but in the end, we did not use it. As I think back these days, I felt sorry for her. The class also broke up into two groups with two different songs. After many quarrels, in the end one group compromised. And as the actual day arrived, something happened.

I felt sick!

I was forced not to go to school. I was forced to pull out of the competition. I was crying at home thinking how much fun that my class was having. I was frustrated, angry at myself. That is when I actually stopped dancing completely.

Two years later, suddenly Eng Eu asked me join in a performance during Secondary Two. At first, I wanted to decline the invitation because of what I went through. But since Eng Eu is my friend, I reluctantly accept it. I did not know this will change my life completely.

I met this guy name David Hie. He is a big fan of Michael Jackson (I was a fan of Michael Jackson, too, but not as much as David). He taught me a move that I was longing to learn since I started dancing: Moonwalking. From here, I started to like dancing all over again. I began to test some moves in front of a mirror. Practicing with the class made me happy and high like I never used to.

Guess what, during the actual day, I felt sick, again.

This time, I pushed myself over the limits. I went up on stage and start performing. I could still remember myself forgetting the last few steps and made up some moves of my own on the spot. After that, I walked around the school, trying to get rid of the headache and the faint feeling. In the end, I black-out. My friends rushed to me and try to massage my legs and hands to keep me awake. Pn Betty was really kind to help me too. After the small drama that I have caused, finally my father came to picked me up to go home.

Since then, I started dancing like crazy with passion.

I learned popping, robotic, gliding, old-school and many other form of dance from the Internet. I find every dance interesting. But still, I couldn't find the kick. So, I start messing around all the dance. It's like making chinese rojak. I mixed up every ingredient I knew. If there is a rule book for dancing hip-hop, I believed I have broken every rules inside the book. Every steps and dance I do is improvisation. I will dance first, then only I will think what am I dancing. Act first, think later.

Voila, I captured the essence of freestyling. The rest is history.

Now, I wished I could learn how to breakdance. All I could do for now is Six-steps, Swipe, Headstand, Switch and Three-steps only. I am hungry to learn more. Aiks, that reminds me. I'm hungry now. [stomach rumbling]

For you dancers out there, learning is a neverending journey. There is no such thing as a happy ending. There is no such thing as "END". It will just go on and on until eternity. Everybody have limitless potiental, but it's up to you to unlock it or not.

No comments: