Sunday, March 11, 2007

MIFF 2007

Experience... That's what is all about...

9 long days I have been travelling on the LRT and STAR train. Each day I have seen advertisement that has been out-dated on the glass panel of the train, cursing myself for not finding a place to sit, swearing in my heart as I see my Touch'n'go card's credit reduced, etc., etc. But these do not go to waste.

MIFF, or Malaysian International Furniture Fair, is an organization that held an event (called MIFF) once in every year. It has more than 485 exhibits to be premiered and promised quality furniture from every exhibits. Yes, it does sound grand. It IS grand. But what does everybody not know is the ACTUAL effort to organize the event itself.

My friend told me about this event in the middle of the night through MSN (Pamelyn, it was 1am, please-lah). So, we went for the interview in Cheras and the interview only lasted 3 minutes. My goodness, all the way to Taman Maluri and used up RM4++, and all I need is THREE MINUTES??? [Banging my head on the wall]

Few weeks later, I got the telephone call from MIFF, and I was given the 5 days job. Due to my corrupted mind of money, I asked for the 9 days job (there was two options: five days or nine days). This decision completely changed my life. Rather than getting a job where I have to use my communication skill with the foreigners, I got the job where I have to assist the hall coordinator, which means, I have to manage a hall during setting up, show day, and moving out.

It's like becoming the middle man in the three way battle: MIFF, exhibitor and contractor. My legs always become numb in the first hour due to long walking distance. There were so many things to do: making sure lightning are okay, checking workers' pass, checking construction of the booth, carpet, etc., etc.

From the eye of an outsider, it looks like everything is normal and peaceful, but the real picture was much different. Sometimes I have to be strict at some particular factor. Sometimes I have to be flexible in order to fulfill the exhibitor's needs. I have to stand some exhibitors' anger as they spat out their fury at me. So, I am actually the representative of MIFF to get scolded by exhibitor. Just joking.

But all the effort I did was considered an experience to me. I also forgot how many cups of coffee I have taken to stay awake. I have never seen an organisation that is more organized than MIFF. Thumbs up for MIFF. :D

Overall, sugar and spice and everything's nice. It's an experience worth going through. If there is any other future events, I would gladly try my best to be the part of it.

"Experience is one thing you can't get for nothing." - Oscar Wilde

1 comment:

CheeHoe said...

get some photos up la